Things to Remember:
- If using a moving service, make a note of your shipment registration number found in the upper right hand corner of your bill of lading. Keep this number with you in case you need to call your mover with questions about your shipment.
- If you need to store some of your goods, it is a good idea to tour the warehouse of the mover you're planning to use. Look for cleanliness, organization and security.
- After you have thoroughly cleaned and dried the inside of your refrigerator, put a handful of fresh coffee, baking soda or charcoal in a sock or nylon stocking and place it inside to keep the interior smelling fresh.
- Take your current phone book with you. You may need to make calls to residents or businesses back in your former hometown.
- Pack heavy items in small boxes, light items in larger boxes.
- Before the van foreman leaves for your destination residence, give him a phone number where you can be reached. It is also a good idea to provide him with an alternate contact if he cannot reach you.
- Place pictures in boxes between sheets and blankets to give them added protection.
- Plates should be packed on end vertically, rather than flat and stacked.
- Before packing medication and toiletry items, make sure their caps and lids have been tightly secured.
- Remove bulbs before packing your lamps.
- In addition to the room and contents, have children write their name and new address on the cartons from their rooms so they can become familiar with their new address before they get to their new home.
- At your destination, consider having the television and VCR hooked up first to occupy the kids while the rest of the van or truck is being unloaded.
- Keep your pet calm and away from all the activity on moving day by arranging for a friend to watch your pet at his/her house.
- When moving plants to your new residence in a car, do not let the foliage rest against the windows, as the leaves will scorch.
Provide Your New Address TO:
- Post Office (3 Weeks Prior To Moving).
- Bank accounts and Credit Card Companies.
- Newspaper / Magazine Subscriptions.
- Insurance Company (Life, Health, Fire and Auto).
- Government (Tax).
- Family Doctor.
- Telephone, TV Cable, Gas, Electric, Water, Disposal Service, etc